Whether you are an experienced flyer or just getting into the RC (radio controlled) hobby, modern small helicopters can provide you with many hours of entertainment. RC battery powered helicopters are much easier to control than the bigger craft, and they can be purchased at very affordable prices.
Gas powered helicopters are great for the experienced user, but the electric ones are well worth trying out. Controllers are often bought separately once the owners better understand what they want from them.
Syma s107 is indeed the most popular indoor RC helicopter for 2011, however we have selected the 3 other top rated best RC helicopters for you:
Model #1 – 3 Channel RC Military Gyro Mini Helicopter Viefly V268
The 3 Channel RC Military Gyro Mini Indoor Helicopter measures 5 inches in length, so it is small enough to enjoy inside the house, and it comes ready to fly out of the box; just add batteries. It features a new gyro system so you’ll always have precise control and movement.
The 3 Channel RC Military Gyro Mini Indoor Helicopter hovers steady and charges from the transmitter in the box. It requires a charge time of only 30 to 45 minutes, and will provide fun for up to 12 minutes on a single charge. Controls work up to a 40-foot distance.
Viefly V268 – Features and Specifications
- 7″ long copter easily fits into the palm of one hand
- Uses 6 AA batteries required, not included
- Triband Power System
- Lipo Battery Radio System
- Excellent helicopter for beginners
- Travel friendly
- Built-in Gyroscope technology (provides more precise movement)
- Gyro system also gives more stable hovering capability
The gyro system makes flying the copter easier, so this is a great feature for beginners. It is a small device that determines the right or left swinging motion (yaw) of the copter. This “communicates” to the tail rotor servo how to stop the “yaw.”
I have flown RC helicopters for years, and even I have trouble controlling a model without gyro technology. Beginners especially, you want a copter with gyro!
Viefly V268 – What You Should Pay
MSRP is $89.95, but Amazon currently has it for $21 or so, and that includes free Super Saver shipping. That’s a savings of 77% off the retail price. I did find it for $19.99 from CheapAirsoft on Amazon, but the shipping was $13.74 so the other deal was better. it was in June 2011, so prices might updated a little bit, so please check the current price directly here.
Viefly V268 – What Do Reviewers Have to Say?
Over 70 Amazon reviewers have rated the 3 Channel RC Military Gyro Mini Indoor Helicopter and more than 50 gave it a 5-star rating. Its total rating is almost 4.4 stars.
Viefly V268 – Positive Comments
The greater majority of owners of the 3 Channel RC Military Gyro Mini Indoor Helicopter love their copter because it is so easy to fly, and some of these owners are not small children. Some reviewers mentioned having other helicopters similar to this one and they liked the Viefly V268 because it’s lightweight and easy to control.
- “Well-built, detailed, and good looking copter. On top of that, the gyroscope does work, and works very well which makes the copter more balanced and easier to control. Another convenience, you can charge it via USB port either, cool.”
- “It’s freakin awesome, you don’t have to keep adjusting the trim/yaw to maintain straight level flight!”
Viefly V268 – Negative Comments
Two points made by those who weren’t happy with this toy were that it was cheaply made so it is not well suited for beginners, and the motor or charging system has been faulty on some units.
- “I charged it overnight, it flew once for 4 minutes and now it won’t hold a charge.”
- “Totally inferior to the s107 by Syma. I have both.”
Viefly V268 – Conclusion
For the money spent and 67 reviews that were 4 and 5 stars out of 76 total, this copter sounds like a thumbs up to me. The reviewers who rated it negatively on the charging system obviously had faulty units which should be covered under the A-Z guarantee on Amazon.
Viefly V268 – Where Can I Find Out More?
Want to know more? Check out the 3 Channel RC Military Gyro Mini Indoor Helicopter by clicking here to go to Amazon.
Model #2 – Blade mCX2 RTF
I think it adds more excitement to an RC helicopter to have flashing LED lights built into the body like on the Blade mCX2 RTF, and you get different experiences with a selectable swash sensitivity. Control settings are adaptable for higher speeds than the helicopter arrives with from the factory, and it has great stability and durability.
The small size of the Blade mCX2 RTF makes it an ideal indoor RC helicopter. You have complete freedom from frequency restrictions with this model.
Blade mCX2 RTF – Features and Specifications
- 5 in 1 control unit is factory installed
- Sleek design
- Flashing LED lights!
- Spektrum compatible receiver
- Fully-proportional servos and Gyro
- Counter-rotating design for rotor head
- Comes completely assembled
- Factory tested and ready to fly out of the box
- User-selectable settings for control of swashplate
- Batteries included
RC device operation became much easier with the introduction of Spektrum technology. Frequency control is eliminated which takes care of any potential glitching. You’ll experience better control and improved flying skills.
Blade mCX2 RTF – What You Should Pay
At summer 2011 I found a price of a 25% savings discount at Amazon off the suggested retail price of $159.99 and shipping was free. Some used units are available for less than $100, but I personally like my copters new because I know first hand how they’ve been treated. Please check here for the recent prices.
Blade mCX2 RTF – What Do Reviewers Have to Say?
The overall Amazon rating is 4.7 out of 5 stars. It has 25 5-star and 6 4-star ratings. Even the worst review is 3 stars and there is only 1.
Blade mCX2 RTF – Positive Comments
Other than a mishap where a user broke a part attempting to change the controls, most comments were that the copter had great control and most were very impressed with the flashing lights.
- “A friend bought me one for Christmas and I have been having a blast with this thing!”
- “The lights are awesome and it flies great.”
- “Take if from this beginner… this is a great RC heli for people with no experience.”
Blade mCX2 RTF – Negative Comments
Its lowest rating was 3 stars from one individual. His comments were:
- “But the most disappointing thing about this heli is that it is not very agile. You will soon get bored of this. So for value, I would recommend the MSR instead.”
Blade mCX2 RTF – Conclusion
This copter is more expensive than the Viefly, but it’s also in a different class. The reviews are very favorable, and in my overall review I have to say this is a great choice in an RC copter. The most favorite feature for many users seems to be the flashing LED lights. It adds so much realism to the flying experience.
Blade mCX2 RTF – Where Can I Find Out More?
Check out the Blade mCX2 RTF by clicking here to go to Amazon for more information and reviews.
Model #3 – Helizone RC Firebird Mini Helicopter
The Helizone RC Firebird Mini Helicopter is a durable remote control copter made of metal alloy. It comes with a built-in gyroscope system and LED headlights. It has a range of around 45 feet and flies to heights of 30 feet.
The main rotor is 6.8 inches, and it has a tail rotor with a 1.3 inch length. The helicopter itself measures 7.7 inches long and it is 3.7 inches tall. The two features I like most about this model is you can fly 2 copters at once thanks to the Infrared Firebird. I also think the LED headlights are cool.
Helizone RC Firebird – Features and Specifications
- Flying time approximately 10 minutes
- Charging time 25 to 30 minutes
- Convenient USB charging feature
- 3 channel transmitter
- Rechargeable lithium battery
- 6 AA batteries (not included) for transmitter
- Infrared Helizone Firebird (allows two copters to fly at the same time)
- LED headlights!
Helizone RC Firebird – What You Should Pay
The MSRP for this product is $39.99, but you might get better deal at Amazon. You may be able to find it for as much as 25% less, and Amazon does offer FREE shipping.
Helizone RC Firebird – What Do Reviewers Have to Say?
The Helizone RC Firebird Mini Helicopter has received a cumulative 4.4 star rating from reviewers on Amazon with a total of 25 feedback comments.
Helizone RC Firebird – Positive Comments
Ease of use seems to be the top positive point on this copter. That is followed closely by how stable it is. Reviewers ran the gambit from first timers to those who have been flying RC planes and copters for years.
- “I have had a few of these micro helis now, and this is by far the best. Charging time is the only disappointment, but only b/c I am impatient.”
- “I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn to fly an RC Helicopter.”
- “It’s quite amazing how stable it is, you can almost get it to hover with no drifting.”
Helizone RC Firebird – Negative Comments
There weren’t too many negative responses to this helicopter. Two reviewers only gave it a 1-star rating, and both of those comments concerned the unit not charging after the first time or two after use. A 2-star reviewer said the Helizone RC Firebird Mini Helicopter did not handle very well.
- “I think it charged, but on second flight, it would suddenly drop to the ground. Maybe I had a bad remote control.”
- “Perhaps I just got a “bad” one.”
Helizone RC Firebird – Conclusion
In the positive reviews, the primary thing people didn’t like was the charging time. Some say it takes almost an hour to charge the lithium battery, which equates to only 10 minutes flying in an hour. Unfortunately, this is true of most of the rechargeable helicopters you can find, not just this one.
The negative reviews seemed to be from people who possibly received faulty units. Overall, the comments are favorable and I give this a thumbs up for the pricing, the headlights, the infrared, and the ratings.
Helizone RC Firebird – Where Can I Find Out More?
Find out more on the Helizone RC Firebird Mini Helicopter by clicking here to go to Amazon for further information and to view actual reviews.
Please also check the review of one of the most popular RC helicopter Syma S107 here